Monday 16 September 2013

London’s Street Joggers can ‘Jog On’!


I don’t drive and, as a result, I can be found walking or bussing around London. If I am not on the street walking, I am watching pedestrians at bus stops form a traditional orderly British queue to get into the bus. When I arrived in London some 22 years ago, I remember trying to board a bus in Kent before it was my turn only to find a large gruff bearded Kentish man behind me who thundered “Oi! It’s not your turn mate!”

Since then I have respected the orderly British way of boarding a bus and they way we abide by escalator etiquette on the Underground and “stand on the right”! I don’t see why we should suddenly have this tradition rudely interrupted by sweaty spandex-clad folk who seem to be rather upset by actual pedestrians interrupting their fitness routines. I wonder if perhaps they refer to us as ‘street walkers’!


I must say I respect joggers. I respect the work they put in. Yes there are rewards too but it takes effort to get up off the sofa, dress in spandex and run in public while sweating profusely and looking stressed (a jogger who smiles back at you is as rare as a shy Apprentice candidate!). I am fortunate to have two close friends who have run the London and Paris marathons and many more who raise money for charity jogging in fun runs and half-marathons. Admirable denizens one and all. Running a marathon (other than in the organisational sense!) is something I will never do. 

But I was moved to write this blog while I sat on the 363 bus in Peckham last Thursday morning. The pavement was crowded with young school kids in their uniforms along with parents and a few buggies. Into the melee jogged  a spandex-clad jogger at relatively high speed causing near-chaos. Some smaller kids were nearly run over as this fitness freak dodged, zigzagged and stumbled her way at 8.15am through the crowded Peckham streets in rush-hour. When Cleethorpes man Rod Temperton wrote the Thriller lyric “terrorise y’awls neighbourhood” I thought he was writing about zombies. I’m now thinking he also must have had an unfortunate encounter with a London Street Jogger!

We Londoners are so fortunate to live in one of the greenest cities in Europe with thousands of acres of parks that are thoroughly suitable for joggers. Parks and Recreation should really be set in London to be truly authentic!  This jogger was yards away from a newly opened cycle path and walkway (joggers encouraged!) between Peckham and the wonderful redeveloped Burgess Park. Facilities developed for the community at local taxpayers’ expense – a great local government initiative to encourage fitness and brighten our environment.

So joggers! We love and respect you and want to protect you. So please love and respect us and jog in the parks and on the walking routes and not through our crowded streets and through our school-going children and on-off-then-on-again on our pavements being choked by the fumes from our cars and lorries. Or through our train-stations trying to overtake the 600 people who have just stepped off the 8.17am from Dorking! There are wonderful, quiet, scenic paved pathways, well maintained, all around you.

And to those lycra-clad joggers who want to continue to disrupt our rush-hours – and managing to do so while at the same time disrupting their training regime and playing havoc with their times! – well, as far as I’m concerned they can “jog on”!

Now that's what I think - so what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment